Adrenal Exhaustion: A Uniquely Modern Epidemic
Could It Be Adrenal Fatigue? Did you know that two tiny glands, no bigger than a grape are responsible for your energy levels, your endurance and your vitality? You cannot live without your adrenal hormones and how well you live depends a great deal on how well your adrenal glands function. Adrenal fatigue is something affecting a great number of my clients as well as the ones closest to me, something that is often misdiagnosed and overlooked.
Among the most common modern-day afflictions is known as adrenal exhaustion. Living in these days of uncertainty and overwhelm causes much stress, which is not easy on the adrenal glands. When the adrenals are tired the body may experience a number of different symptoms. Adrenal stress, dysregulation, and exhaustion can leave you feeling completely worn out and depleted and can greatly interfere with normal sleep patterns. The symptoms of low adrenal function are varied, depending upon severity and individual factors. They commonly include:
- Trouble staying asleep, and waking up at the hours of 2 or 3 AM.
- Being a “slow” starter.
- Afternoon fatigue.
- Feeling more awake at 6:00pm, that you have all day. I call this “tired but wired.”
- Feeling run down or overwhelmed.
- Cravings for salt.
- Excess mood responses after eating carbohydrates such as pasta, bread, and sugar.
- Experiencing dizziness when you stand up too quickly.
- Afternoon headaches or headaches with stress or exertion.
- Tending towards weight gain under stress.
- Excess perspiration or perspiring, even while inactive (in normal temperatures).
- Lower back pain and/or knee weakness or pain, especially on the side.
- You have difficulty bouncing back from stress or illness.
- Low blood pressure.
- Sensitivity to light, difficulty seeing at night.
- Dark circles under the eyes.
- Intolerance to alcohol.
- Cystic breasts.
If you suspect you might have tired adrenals, address it right away. Adrenal glands are extremely important to your immune function and they also help the thyroid to function properly.
Natural Tips to Support Your Adrenals:
- Get some sleep. You must rest up if you are going to help your adrenals get stronger. That means going to bed every night by 10pm and if at all possible, make time for naps. Make this a priority and stick with it.
- Eliminate sugar (that includes alcohol) and processed carbs. Sugar and simple carbs (junk!) put stress on the adrenals. Your adrenal glands help to regulate your blood sugar levels and eating too much refined sugar can cause bloating and water retention not to mention incredible irritability and mood swings.
- Eat clean animal protein foods, organic vegetables, and eliminate grains.
- Quit the coffee habit or add coconut oil in with your one cup of morning java, to help with adrenal fuel.
- Ask Meg about the right Adrenal support and the right adaptagens supplements for you! These will make a huge difference in your daily life and vitality!
There is no need to live a sub-par life where you are constantly feeling exhausted, out of balance and dragged through your daily obligations. By focusing for a few months on improving your diet and lifestyle, by resting, taking time to process your life and move through negative emotions and removing yourself from excessive chemicals – you will get yourself back, maybe even a new you, better than before.
AT HOME TEST: Wondering if your adrenals are in order? Here’s an easy skin scratch test. Either with your nail or something else with an edge lightly scratch your lower abdomen, a bit off to the side. The line should start white, but turn red within 2 minutes. If it stays white after the 2 minutes, then your adrenals are fatigued. If you have tired adrenals, contact Meg for your personalized path towards wellness.